Updated: July 24, 2018
2018 Ohio Workers’ Compensation News
- Use our news archive to see Ohio workers’ compensation news from other years.
- For more news about the Ohio workers’ compensation system, subscribe to the Ohio Workers’ Compensation Bulletin.
- The Ohio Supreme Court found that mandamus is the proper remedy to challenge a Commission order granting continuing jurisdiction and allowing a claim, even though the decision to allow the claim could be challenged by an R.C. 4123.512 appeal. Read more >>
- The Ohio Supreme Court held that the Ohio BWC and Industrial Commission have continuing jurisdiction to modify awards beyond two years. Read more >>
- The Ohio Supreme Court ruled that subrogation applies when a third party claim is settled before the workers’ compensation claim is allowed. Read more >>
- The Ohio BWC will lower the worker’s compensation premium rates assessed to Ohio private employers by an additional 12 percent. The new rates will take effect beginning July 1, 2018.
- The BWC has adopted a new rule, O.A.C. 4123-6-32 – Payment for Lumbar Fusion Surgery, which requires injured workers to undergo conservative care for at least sixty days before having a lumbar fusion surgery. There are exceptions for conditions requiring immediate intervention.
- The DWRF monthly amount for 2018 is $1,656.14. The weekly DWRF amount for 2018 is $381.14.
- See the 2018 rates for Ohio workers’ compensation awards on our rates page.