Updated: October 26, 2018
2018 Ohio Workers’ Compensation News
- Use our news archive to see Ohio workers’ compensation news from other years.
- For more news about the Ohio workers’ compensation system, subscribe to the Ohio Workers’ Compensation Bulletin.
- The Supreme Court has found that an injured worker who voluntarily retires loses eligibility for temporary total compensation, even if they were incapable of returning to their job at the time they retired. Read more >>
- The Commission has added Memo F.6 to the Hearing Officer Manual, addressing orders awarding scheduled losses. The memo indicates that hearing officers must indicate a start date for scheduled loss awards. For amputation awards, the start date is the date of amputation; for loss of use, the start date is the date of the earliest medical evidence relied on for the award. The start date cannot be more than two years before the date of the application.
- The Industrial Commission issued resolution R18_1_01 which rescinds a number of previous Industrial Commission resolutions due to changes in statutory, administrative or case law.
- The Ohio Supreme Court found that mandamus is the proper remedy to challenge a Commission order granting continuing jurisdiction and allowing a claim, even though the decision to allow the claim could be challenged by an R.C. 4123.512 appeal. Read more >>
- The Ohio Supreme Court held that the Ohio BWC and Industrial Commission have continuing jurisdiction to modify awards beyond two years. Read more >>
- The Ohio Supreme Court ruled that subrogation applies when a third party claim is settled before the workers’ compensation claim is allowed. Read more >>
- The Ohio BWC will lower the worker’s compensation premium rates assessed to Ohio private employers by an additional 12 percent. The new rates will take effect beginning July 1, 2018.
- The BWC has adopted a new rule, O.A.C. 4123-6-32 – Payment for Lumbar Fusion Surgery, which requires injured workers to undergo conservative care for at least sixty days before having a lumbar fusion surgery. There are exceptions for conditions requiring immediate intervention.
- The DWRF monthly amount for 2018 is $1,656.14. The weekly DWRF amount for 2018 is $381.14.
- See the 2018 rates for Ohio workers’ compensation awards on our rates page.