Governor Signs BWC Budget Bill
Posted: July, 2007
Governor Strickland signed Am. Sub. H.B. 100, the BWC budget bill, on June 11, 2007. This bill made a number of changes to the oversight of the BWC. Among other things, the bill:
- creates a deputy inspector general for the BWC and Industrial Commission, whose duty is to investigate wrongful acts or omissions by officers or employees of the BWC or Industrial Commission;
- replaces the BWC oversight commission with a BWC board of directors, with altered duties;
- requires the administrator to appoint a chief operating officer with at least 5 years experience in the insurance industry if the administrator lacks such experience;
- creates a workers’ compensation audit committee, a workers’ compensation actuarial committee, and a workers’ compensation investment committee;
- creates a workers’ compensation council, to “review the soundness of the workers’ compensation system and legislation” related to workers’ compensation;
- increases the amount a state fund employer may pay in a medical-only claim from $5,000 to $15,000.
Information courtesy of the Ohio Workers’ Compensation Bulletin. Subscribe to the Ohio Workers’ Compensation Bulletin to keep informed about the Ohio workers’ compensation system.